Back to list

Studying in the UK | Tier 4 Visa Cont. | Proof of Study Funds for Visa UK

To study in the UK, you need to guarantee you have sufficient funds to obtain your visa in a timely manner.

Our UK Counselor Suzanna specializes in British education, G5 Universities, admission requirements, study abroad planning, background enrichment, personal statement writing, application procedures, scholarships, UK visas to live in Britain, accommodation, and more. All to help you navigate the application process to UK schools.


Suzanna Brown

With years of experience in international education, up to date knowledge of UK admission trends, native English speaker, and receiver of the British Council’s “Educational Consultant Qualification,” Suzanna is committed to helping students carry out a comprehensive plan for successful studying in the UK.

▌This Week’s Subject 

What students need to know in advance when preparing a visa deposit.

▌Core Content

▌Q&A With a College Counselor

Q: What is the deposit amount required for the UK student visa?


In principle, the visa deposit guarantee is equal to:

course tuition for one year + cost of living for 9 months

Q: How to confirm the amount of tuition for the first year?


Your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) will tell you the amount of money you will need to prove in order to pay your course fees.

If you are not sure, check your school website and/or email your school.

If you have already paid a deposit when accepting your offer and it is reflected on the CAS letter, you can subtract the corresponding amount from the deposit guarantee.

Q: How to calculate the cost of living in the UK.


This will depend on the total estimated cost of living in the school’s location, including expenses for food, clothing, and housing.

The British Immigration Service routinely publishes the latest standards for monthly living expenses in various regions in the UK.

If you are studying in the London area: the monthly cost of living is £ 1,265, and up to 9 months.

  • 1-month long course in London would cost £ 1,265
  • 9-month long course in London would cost £ 11,385

If you plan to live outside of the London area you can expect the monthly cost of living to be around £ 1015.

Note: You should always round-up in your calculations in months. For example, if your course date is from May 30th to October 1st, then it is more than four months and two days, so you need to prepare funds for five months.

If you have paid a dormitory deposit to the school and it is reflected in the CAS letter, you can deduct up to £ 1,265 from the deposit’s security deposit.

Is more deposit more beneficial?


First, your deposit just needs to be able to cover your costs. Second, you might be able to take advantage of better exchange rates at later dates if the current one is not good.

Suppose the tuition fee for your first year is ₤18,000, and a 1,000-square-year apartment reservation fee has been paid when you accepted admission, and a 3000-square-meter dormitory deposit is also paid to the school.


All the mentioned above will be reflected in your payment voucher provided by the school on the CAS letter.

For students studying in the London area, the visa deposit guarantee amount is 27,120 pounds (18000 + 1265 × 9-1000-1265). Calculated simply and rounded up, using the exchange rate of 1 pound to 10 RMB, which is about RMB 280,000.

For non-London students, the visa deposit guarantee amount is 24,870 pounds (18000 +  1015 × 9-1000-1265). Calculated simply and rounded up, using the exchange rate of 1 pound to 10 RMB, which is about RMB 250,000.


Living cost requirements may change, please check the UKCISA website for the latest updates:–Advice/Visas-and-Immigration/Tier-4-eligibility-and-requirements

How do I make a deposit?


The visa deposit must be in the form of currency, which can be RMB or foreign currency (stocks or corporate bonds cannot be used as a deposit for studying abroad). These available properties prove to be in compliance, such as

  • Bank slip
  • Regular deposit
  • Current deposit certificate
  • Proof of loan, etc.

Generally speaking, the deposit for studying abroad exists in the deposit slip, deposit book, or deposit book. It is recommended to deposit regularly, for three months or six months, for the expiration of automatic transfer. Only open deposit slips, not open proof. After the deposit, the deposit is saved.

Current deposits can also be used as a deposit for studying abroad, but it is not recommended. Due to the inflow and outflow of the current account amount, it is easy to cause the deposit margin amount to be lower than the established requirements, and it is necessary to restart the deposit for 28 consecutive days.

It cannot be deposited by regular financial deposit methods.

Where to make the deposit?


The deposit needs to be deposited in the more well known China financial institutions, such as the Bank of China, Agricultural Bank of China, or Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. So far, the deposits issued by these three major banks have not shown that they have affected visas negatively. Postal Savings Bank of China also seems to work.

Based on years of experience, compared with other banks, Bank of China’s deposit certificate format is more reasonable and standardized, which is convenient for visa processing. In addition, the format of the deposit certificate is very standardized and the information is complete. The familiarity and professionalism of the deposit business are higher. Therefore, it is recommended that students deposit their deposits with the Bank of China.

Let’s take a look at the certificate of deposit and deposit certificate of Bank of China.

Bank of China, no matter the type of certificate of deposit, states the deposit date of the deposit clearly.

Other banks might complicate the visa process due to their unclear format.

Can the deposit be made in the name of the parents of the student?


The deposit for studying in the UK is best deposited in the student ’s name. If there is a student in the name of a parent or legal guardian, you need to show proof of relationship with their parent or legal guardian and their authorization to allow you to use the funds.

Q: How long will it last?


The bank certificate of deposit or deposit certificate must show that as of the day of paying the visa application fee online, the required funds have been fully deposited (at least) for 28 days.

Note, before the visa is processed, deposits should not be touched. If they are touched this will reset the 28 day countdown.

Q: If I get a school or government scholarship, what materials do I need to provide?


 If the scholarship is provided directly by the school, this information can be indicated in the CAS document, and no additional supporting documents are required.

If you are receiving a third-party scholarship, you must also provide proof of financial assistance from the sponsor. Use a formal letterhead to certify the letter and affix the official seal.

The letter should state:

your name, the name and contact information of the sponsor, the date of issuance of the certificate, the funding period and the amount of funding, or a sentence explaining that you will bear all expenses for tuition and living.

You can then provide the rest of the deposit required by the visa.

What if I get a loan as part of the deposit?


You can provide bank statements, bank letters confirming funds, or loans. The date of the certificate shall not be earlier than six months from the date of application.

Q: When will the proof of deposit restrictions open up?


The time will be according to when you have submitted your visa application, and the deposit certificate must be in the guarantee deposit for more than 28 days before it can be opened.

You must submit visa materials within 31 days to pay the application fee. If you need to issue a deposit certificate, you only need to go to the bank and explain that the money is used as a deposit for studying abroad. The bank will handle the relevant business for you according to the corresponding process, and then you can get the “Personal Deposit Certificate” from the bank.

From 2018 onwards, the proof of deposit submitted can be a photocopy, and you no longer need to submit the original documents.

After the visa is submitted, if it is spot-checked, and I need to submit proof of funds. What information should I submit?


Current deposit: original copy of the slip and matching translation.

Fixed deposit: original deposit certificate with translation, and original deposit certificate with translation.

What are the specific requirements for translating documents?


For all supporting documents, if the original document itself is in English or bilingual, there is no need to provide additional translation documents, just affix the official seal of the issuing party.

If the original document proves to be a non-English document, you need to attach the corresponding English translation. The translation must include:

  • Confirmation that the translation is an accurate translation of the original document;
  • Translator/translation company’s details and contact information;
  • The third-party who translated should sign, sign, and provide information that can prove their qualifications (such as the translation qualification certificate code, etc.).

The above is the introduction of the deposit reserve for studying in the UK. Students who are going to study in the UK can use it as a reference and hope to help you. More detailed visa guidance will be shared with you one after another.


This is QR Code conversation WeChat ID: CurioEducation

Other articles